Pardon the dust while this blog becomes awesome! But please feel free to look around!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

In Review: The Summer I Became A Nerd

The Summer I Became a NerdThe Summer I Became a Nerd
by Leah Rae Miller
Release Date: May 2013
eBook (Entangled Teen)

What it's about:
On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever. (B&N Nook Overview)

    Ahh! So much love for this book. Totally cute and tons of fun. I can't tell you how many times I smiled and girly danced (mostly internally) while reading this book. I devoured it pretty much on one sitting. 
    The Summer I Became A Nerd is about a girl named Maddie who, after a tragically embarrassing Halloween Costume incident, hides her nerdy side and climbs the high school social ladder to Miss Popularity, complete with a spot on the cheer squad and a Football star boyfriend. But when her undying love for her favorite comic book series and the secret crush on Logan, the cute boy working in the local comic shop, lead her to a summer full of lies and LARPing she learns just what type of person she really is.
    I'm not sure what I loved more, the way adorable chemistry between Maddie and Logan or all the nerdiness. Actually, it's probably more or the combination of the two. Hello! Romance, comic books, videogames, and LARPing all rolled together. Is there anything better? Superhero debates FTW! And I particularly enjoyed the names, though it may have been more of my brain making nerdy connections than the author specifically choosing the names for nerd reasons. Being a nerdy girl myself I could relate to her fear of letting people know her secret identity, though I did want to shout, "Wear that Power Girl costume PROUDLY Girlfriend!!" And I must say Maddie certainly knows how to come through in the end.
    All in all, The Summer I Became A Nerd is a totally cute, super fun read that any chiklit loving nerd would enjoy.

Similar books I enjoyed that you might too!

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight The Art of Wishing Sean Griswold's Head

No comments:

Post a Comment